In late September I arrived at Cork Airport in Ireland for my first ever visit to the island.
I have lots to say about it but here’s a starter list. From the stunning green to the sumptuous food, and all between, Ireland has a lot to love.
10 of the many things I learned about Ireland
10. It is indeed green. Ridiculously verdant, emerald, everything you can imagine green to be and more.
9. People often forget that the witty Oscar Wilde and the scary Bram Stoker were both Irish.
8. The last passengers to board the Titanic got on at the harbour town of Cobh, on the south coast. Cobh is well worth a visit, and among its many attractions is the Titanic Experience.
7. The Cork and Kerry Mountains are real, not just part of a song.
6. The Cork and Kerry Mountains are also big and very beautiful.
5. The photo opps are endless.
4. The Dingle Peninsula beaches look just like they did in Ryan’s Daughter.
3. Dublin has fresh, local food and imaginative creative chefs serving up the best meals, like the dramatic soup I had at Fade Street Social.
2. What everyone says about the people is true: they are friendly and hospitable.
1. I should have gone there sooner!